Monday, October 19, 2009

I Hate Apple Software

I don't use iTunes but once in a blue moon if I need to buy something. I don't use it to play music on my computer, I don't use it to organize music on my computer, I don't use it at all. I don't play Quicktime videos more than once every two or three months. I don't want Quicktime to play videos in my browser (it's particularly crappy for that purpose but apparently the designers think it's so great it automatically forces itself into the position of default in-browser player and you can't change it ever), I don't want Quicktime to play anything, ever, but of course Apple being the assholes they are won't let any other player handle their formats.

Now I don't mind installing a program that I rarely use if it will sit there quietly waiting for me to use it. The shitbags at Apple have insured their software has a hidden updating software that won't leave me the fuck alone and cannot be removed! On top of that they regularly try to sneak in new shit I will never use (like iPhone software or the Safari browser). If I could just find the update program and kill it that would be fine but this shit runs in the background and doesn't appear anywhere in the start-up menu. I actually use my computer for more than putzing around with an iPod and I don't want any program running that I didn't start, especially when I'm getting ready to work on a big recording session. Having a goddamned pop-up window appear telling me iTunes and Quicktime (neither program has been opened in well over two months) have an update ever is bad enough but randomly and daily is infuriating. Tell me when and if I use the program, don't hide an update notification program on my computer that I can't control, you assholes.

As soon as I uninstall iTunes and Quicktime I'll need one or the other of them and apparently you can't get one without the other. They won't sit there quietly until I need them (when I do need them I don't mind updating, but today, for instance, I don't need them, I'm not going to use them, and I don't want them to tell me they've got a motherfucking update ready!!!) and if I uninstall them I'm going to run into a .m4a file I want to watch or I'll hear some album that's only available as an iTunes download.

I'd just like to say to Apple software designers, "Fuck every last one of you shitbags in the ass with a sand coated pine cone." Any software designer that believes their programs are the most important thing users will have on their computer is a fucking douchebag. Fuck you, Apple. Just because you can design "modern" looking crap for pedestrians doesn't mean everyone needs or wants your shit. Open your formats so I can view Quicktime movies and .m4a files with Winamp and make the iTunes site for purchasing music browser based instead of its own obnoxious program. They won't which is why I hate Apple. You're worse than Microsoft you pricks.

5 comments:

John M. said...

I feel ya.

There is a way to stop the update notices. I can't remember how I did it, but I did.

As far as playing various media files, I use the VLC media player. It's awesome, unobtrusive and it plays every sound or video format, even DVDs. No searching for codecs and no Quicktime.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

to disable Quicktime and Windows Media Player, I just made VLC the default program for everything.

When I come across a file that wants to open in QT or WMP, I right click on the file, go to 'open with' and at the bottom you'll see 'choose default program'. After a while, I was able to get all media files to default to VLC. (You can do this in in the control panel, but I opted to do it as I go.)

Now I have no Apple/QT bullshit.

If you need any further help with this, drop me a line and we'll try to figure out how to avoid this annoying bullshit.

p.s. for torrents see:

http://www.bittornado.com/

It's simple, fast, and doesn't naff up your system - it also draws next to no traffic on your Peer Guardian window.

John M. said...

>>I don't want Quicktime to play anything, ever, but of course Apple being the assholes they are won't let any other player handle their formats.<<

just to reiterate, VLC will handle EVERY format.

I think I avoided the update notices by not letting any file format open QT.

John M. said...

btw, if you use an ipod, you can't really avoid the update notices.

I use mine so rarely that this isn't a problem.

Alan (Evil) Miller said...

I've got several little Sansa mp3 players for podcasts and music so my only reason for using iTunes is to buy downloads which I almost never do. I will search out this VLC player though I've used Winamp since the late 90's.

I've been using mutorrent for torrents. Relatively unobtrusive and gives lots of control.

John M. said...

Well, just use WinAmp for the files that you normally use it for and switch everything else to VLC.

I use mutorrent for torrents that I only want some of the files, but for complete torrents I swear by bittornado.