Sunday, May 25, 2008

"You and I"

One of my greatest pet peeves is people using "I" or "we" when they should use "me" or "us" because they think it makes them sound smarter. This is almost always done in a plural sense such as "you and I" instead of "you and me." As soon as I hear someone say something like, "They did this just for you and I" my estimate of them drops to near contempt. One would not say, "They did this just for I." One would say, "They did this just for me." Why is this difficult for people?

That song by Bill Withers makes me angry every time I hear it. "Just the two of us, building castles in the sky, just the two of us, you and I" may rhyme better but it's straight up wrong.

What caused today's little rant was Lynne Rossetto Kasper use "we" instead of "us" on her public radio show The Splendid Table and she went from an overly jovial cooking host to a windbag in my opinion.

Can you imagine what 8 years of listening to President Bush has done to me?