Saturday, March 7, 2009

Change.org

A little while ago an anonymous reader suggested I post to Change.org because it was somehow an instrumental place to post for loud-mouthed progressives. (see the comments under this topic)

I gave it a shot and found it is the place for limp wristed hippy wannabes to whine politely.

On my first post at Change.org (for which I received multiple compliments) I was reprimanded for using the word "rape" to describe what the banks and the recent right wing administration has done and continues to do to poor people. I already cross-posted this here.

Then came this e-mail:

Alan,

There has been a new response posted to the following discussion on Change.org:
Conflicting Interests in Obama's Housing Plan

----------------------------------------------
Alan, please refrain from using the word "raping" as a verb here. It's extremely violent and unnecessary hyperbole that is upsetting in its imagery.

posted by Leigh Graham
----------------------------------------------


Click the link below to view this discussion.
http://uspoverty.change.org/blog/view/conflicting_interests_in_obamas_housing_plan

"Alan, please refrain from using the word "raping" as a verb here."?!? So I could say "the rape of the poor by the rich continues" but not "the rich are raping the poor"?

Now here's the first bit that makes me angry (other than being given a stupid order by a stranger): She did not post this on the forum but sent it to me personally, but via a blind e-mail that made her reply appear as if it were a post. I responded to her the only way available to me (the reply address for the e-mail is "mail@change.org" so I could not reply directly via e-mail) by posting her comment and a rebuttal which unfortunately I did not save a copy of. My response was that I was offended by her censorship and argued that there was class warfare being conducted and just like war in Darfur, this type of rape was being perpetrated against the poor by the rich. I explained in detail how rape was the perfect analogy for what's going on both because it is horrible but also because it can be repeated unlike most other acts of war that involve killing people. I did not use any commonly acknowledged profanity (unlike here in this blog) and the argument was well crafted.

I even argued that she should feel free to delete any of my language they find disagreeable as long as they put "[censored]" in its place.

Rather than reply in the forum Leigh Graham deleted the rebuttal and sent me this e-mail:

Alan Miller,

Your comment on the blog entry entitled 'Conflicting Interests in Obama's Housing Plan' has been removed from the Poverty in America community on Change.org by an administrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------
REASON: Alan, As I thought, your word choice has upset other readers. I was sent an abuse report and asked to consider deleting your comment. I am going to do so. My site, my rules, and I find your English degree pales in comparison to a rape survivor's emotional health as justification for using the word versus not.
---------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions please read the Terms of Service or contact us at help@change.org.

- Change.org
I replied to the e-mail notification despite the fact I'm sure it vanished into nothingness at change.org, but here it is anyway:

Censorship is censorship.
Welcome to post freedom America

"My site, my rules." [self censored obscenity]. That's not Democratic, it's not politic, and it makes your forum worthless. If you can't argue then don't host a public forum. If opinions cannot be expressed in commonly acceptable language (i.e. if you can say it on the radio and not get fined) then expression is restricted and violated.

This is why I won't post on stupid, bullshit, politically correct sites like this. This is why the Democratic party will lose again to the Republicans. The Republicans make up a problem and then talk about it with fiery, populist rhetoric. The Democrats are so afraid they might offend someone even though they are totally right, all their language is watered down, milky, and devoid of passion or righteousness. Rather than call a spade a spade they feel they have to call it "that triple lobed playing card emblem." It's bogus, it's weak, and it's typical. Better not use the word "puppy" as a noun because someone might be allergic to dogs!

I don't want anything to do with a bunch of pussies like that. I will not be party to censorship of any kind, especially when it is of this overly aggressive politically correct variety. All change.org has managed to do for me is make me angry. Fucking worthless.