Monday, March 31, 2008

Radiolab, Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

Looking at my fellow Americans that eat a lot of sliced bread I can't say that sliced bread has been all that good for us. But that's just the cynic in me. My Grandpa loved white bread though he knew intimately the entire process of raising wheat to the point of having the grain ground. Like so many Americans, he just loved that almost-dough consistency and the sweet chewiness of it. Can't stand white bread, myself, but I don't mind some sliced multi-grain kind of stuff.

So anyway, I thought I'd point out that Radiolab is probably the second best show on the radio, right behind This American Life. And if the two were starting out in a race at the same time (TAL has a pretty good head start at this point) I'm not sure who would be winning. Radiolab not only tells interesting stories fabulously, the show sounds absolutely amazing. At its best it's literally trippy with sounds swirling around, stretching, phasing, and echoing. I know it's just Pro-Tools. I know what he's doing. I still enjoy the matter of fact way they insert samples of their guests speaking into the host's set-ups, use effects for transitions, and replay samples from earlier in the show to emphasize the scope of the discussion. There is a nice question and answer report between the two hosts that flips between segments. The shows are almost all available for download via podcasts and every last one has been very good at least.