Sunday, August 3, 2008

Art Car Leads to Momentary Fame



I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I drive an art car. If you don't know what one is you should look here and then search for art car (put it in quotations) on Flikr.com, burningman.com, and whatever search engine grabs your fancy.

My car, The Institute for Psychic Reform Techno Car, has brought me a brief moment of local fame. This last Friday, coinciding with the beginning of the Kentucky Art Car Weekend, my car and I were featured in the Courier-Journal's Features section. The main picture (above) was embarrassingly large in the physical paper and the article was really nice. There was also an online gallery of pictures from the photo shoot. Starting first thing in the morning Friday at the car wash before the show and continuing all day Friday and Saturday people came up to me and said, "I saw you in the paper!" I kind of hope this will have freed some more local people up to come and talk to me about the car, which is one of the reasons I drive it. The hope is it will change people's minds at least a little bit and allow them to be a little more free and a little happier.

When I get my pictures from our big weekend uploaded to Flikr I'll link to it, but go ahead and visit my Flikr page now to see a ton of art car pics from several national events. If you have never seen a bunch of art cars in one place before, there are events all over the country and you should make an effort to attend one. Most are annual events (like the Kentucky Art Car Weekend) so if you missed a show near you this year it'll probably be back next year.

1 comments:

John M. said...

Nice.

Funny enough, WebUrbanist posted this the same day:

http://weburbanist.com/2008/08/03/20-of-the-worlds-most-awesome-art-cars/

Keep on loosening up the stiffs!